Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Housewife Gets A Housewife ?!

Remember when I said I got a job? Did you wonder how that went? I love it -- so glad you asked. I'm given all the equipment I could possibly need and left alone to do my own thing at my own pace. The boss is cool, so I get there when I want and I leave when I call it quits. It's an hour commute which isn't as ideal, but I take a hot drink to hold in my hand, bring my favorite CDs, and oh yeah, driving a mustang on the interstate is just fun. And I love what I'm doing, I love working independently, and I love how it's only two days a week which is just enough to make me feel more productive. More than anything I'm grateful for the experience. Though I've never done so much photographing in my life: snap snap snap for 6-8 hours a day. Granted, Tuesdays are my Friday:), but last Wednesday the eye I use to squint was twitching all day! But all in all I'm very, very happy :)

Ever since I started the job, my husband has taken on the role of part-time housewife. Which has been so so weird because the last couple Mondays he had off of work, so he has been waking up with me, he made me breakfast, and packed my lunch, and asked me what I wanted for dinner, and kissed me goodbye... all instead of the other way around. Mondays and Tuesdays he cooks and cleans like nobody's business. (He says he wants to help out more now that I'm working. The way he talks, you'd think I was working 30+ hours a week at a construction site. But hey, I'm not complaining!)

This Tuesday was an especially long day for me. It was chilly and rainy all day and I didn't get home till 8 o'clock. When I opened the door, my husband's face was waiting there to kiss me inside the warm apartment, with our little Lacy bouncing up and down at my feet, a gorgeous fire glowing in the fireplace, mixed with the smell of an amazing dinner on a table with candlelight and a dozen roses. (Oh no, is my husband a better housewife?!) It absolutely made every hour I spent away from home worth while. I knew he always appreciated coming home to everything done, meals made and little to worry about, but since I started working I realize how much it really does mean! And I completely think that's the way it should be. It blows my mind how some husbands and wives both work like mules. How do they run a livable household? (Rhetorical question. Answer: They live like pigs, order take out on a regular basis, don't make each other a priority, resulting in neither one of them feeling cared for, let daycare raise their children, and all for an extra figure in their paycheck. Typical Americans?) Who wants to live like that? I suppose it's all a result of choices we have made and I realize that we are fortunate to be able to live how we do, but nothing is worth that kind of life. Because you couldn't have bought my Tuesday...



3 comments:

  1. Shauna this was great to read! I'm happy life is going so well for you and Roberto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww ! i love to read your posts - they're so classy & fun :D ever read Jasmine Star's blog [http://jasminestarblog.com/index.cfm] ? she's one of my FAVORiTESSSS - sassy and down to earth :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, compliments!! :)
    I'll have to check her out Kara! I'm really getting into this blogging thing lol.

    ReplyDelete