Sunday, November 7, 2010

Soft, Doughy Pizza Recipe

The other night I made our household favorite pizza recipe and thought I'd share it with you on here. I don't remember where I found this, but I sort of made it mine by tweaking it a little. If you like thick, soft crust and that awesome smell of fresh warm dough rising from your plate than I think you'll enjoy this recipe. It's somewhat of a big hit with my husband and he's quite the picky eater!!

Here's what you'll need...

Approximately 2 hours

Active dry yeast
Brown sugar
Salt
Olive oil
All-purpose flour


Please don't let the amount of time required intimidate you! Making this recipe does require a little thinking ahead as it takes longer to make then the average meal but I think it's worth it. Also if you've never made a recipe involving yeast and you're anything like me, you're probably hesitant about incorporating extra steps with heteronymic names like yeast--simply because of the fact that you'd never used it before and therefore it sounds way too involved--but I encourage you to not only try it but stock up on some. It's not expensive and it makes a world of difference in recipes involving any kind of bread and is also not something that can really be substituted.

Here's how to do it...

♥ In a large bowl, dissolve 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in 1 1/2 cups of warm water for ten minutes.
♥ Stir 1 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons olive oil into the yeast solution. Mix in 3 cups flour.
♥ Knead more flour into dough as needed. Continue kneading.
♥ Pat ball of dough with olive oil. Let rest covered for one hour, or as long as you can.
♥ Preheat oven to 400*. Prepare pizza pan with non-stick spray.
♥ Roll dough using a roller pin onto a clean floured surface, keeping it as thick as possible while still making it big enough to fit the entire pan.




♥ The crust is done, so this is where personal preference comes in. My husband likes Hunt's canned tomato sauce (not paste) which I think tastes like spaghetti-o's, but I like to use it because it's smooth and a 15oz can will do the trick with no leftovers (that's if you like a generous amount of sauce).



♥ For pizzas we prefer mozzarella cheese. Some of my favorite toppings, to give you some ideas, are artichokes, tomatoes, onions, BBQ meatball, spicy chicken, or italian sausage. This time we went with pepperoni.
♥ Bake for 18-23 minutes, less if you like the crust extra soft or slightly underdone.
♥ Serve with a fork, if you're one of those people. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment