Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

I had the best Valentine's day. Ever.

In fact, it probably made #1 favorite day with my husband since we've been married. Maybe since we started dating. Maybe ever. It didn't go any better than the average date, which for whatever reason usually involves an event or list of events that evoke a stressful mood, which promotes irritability, threatens the presence of fun and romance, and ruins the chance of perfection 100% of the time.

I suppose it's "Murphy's Law". Still, I always hope that for once something is going to go as exactly as planned (and that I could punch Edward A. Murphy in the face). No obstacles. Just for one evening. For once I want to do my makeup and not poke myself in the eye with a mascara wand; I want to not hit so much traffic that we wonder why we ever left the house; or I want to be on time for a movie instead of the usual 20 minutes late, which seems positively unavoidable...

Just once.

More than any other date, I wanted this one to be perfect. I had purchased tickets for the opera four months in advance. We would see Romeo and Juliet and then exchange gifts at my new favorite restaurant. I guess you could say I had the night envisioned in my head. (Yes, I realize this sounds high-strung. No, I don't know how my husband does it.) I'm probably being unreasonable, especially since I am almost positive that these frustrations are not shared by my husband... though he is so passive, I suppose no one will ever know.

Long story short: We hit traffic, missed half the Opera, got a parking ticket, and underestimated the distance to the restaurant so drastically that our stomachs were eating themselves by the time we got there. Normally I would have let all of these things get to me, but I was determined to have an amazing night and make sure that my husband and I both had a good time.

And we did. The Opera was great (I'm secretly glad we missed so much of it: we got there just in time for all of the good parts, and I can only take so much Opera), seeing the business district of Dallas was fun, my husband liked the restaurant I had chosen, and well, he was so sweet. He is so sweet. I can't help feeling unbelievably blessed to have this awesome, handsome person who keeps telling me I'm beautiful and is not only in it for the long run but who wants to love me, provide for me, and give me Fossil watches along the way.

It doesn't take long to get caught up in a daily grind. But once in a while there is something --- such as a date that could have gone horribly wrong, but was more than rescued by the simple fact of just being glad to be together --- that reminds you of what you've got. Those are the days I wonder if my husband knows I got the better end of the deal. And, even though he spent way too much money on me and doesn't even like the candy I got him, you can't convince me that I'm not the luckiest person in the whole world. I almost wish this page in our life would never turn.



Long stemmed red roses = my favorite.























As my husband puts it, he is "not a card person". In the past, this referred to both giving and receiving. Which is why I was so pleasantly surprised when he gave me a beautiful card that had the sweetest things written inside. ♥ Extra bonus points were given because it matched the paper my roses came with almost identically.













2 comments:

  1. Love it!I believe the term for Roberto is,'full of peace' and not passive.It's a great attribute,actually.:-)I would even call it a gift.You guys compliment each other.God knows you both well and He brought you together to bless you abundantly.

    ReplyDelete